There are a variety of opportunities for people to get involved with Rise’s efforts in the St. Louis region.
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
POSITION TYPE: Full-time, exempt, St. Louis, MO
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
WHO WE ARE
Rise partners with communities to build stronger, more equitable St. Louis area neighborhoods. With a focus on sustainable success, we strive to create stronger communities and more desirable places to live by actively leading real estate development projects and deploying capital as a community development financial institution (CDFI). Rise also acts as a resource and partner to the community by bringing together nonprofits, financial institutions, and government to make successful neighborhood revitalization possible.
Rise Community Development (Rise) is seeking a focused individual with a desire to support the provision of high-quality affordable housing for the role of Director of Finance. This managerial-level position provides strategic oversight and guidance to Rise’s financial operations.
The Director of Finance is responsible for all financial matters related to the operation of Rise and its affiliate organizations and will report to and work closely with the President and Executive Director. In addition, they will partner with the senior leadership and the board of directors to develop and implement strategies across the organization. The Director of Finance will oversee all compliance and recognition for government (federal and state) contracts and private grants.
They must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace while overseeing the organization’s financial and accounting functions. The organization’s accounting and controller functions are currently outsourced, therefore they will be responsible for supervising the outside firm responsible for those functions.
Specific responsibilities include:
Accounting and Administration
- Ensure the proper maintenance of all accounting systems and functions.
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for federal and state funders, foundations, and Rise’s board of directors; oversee the preparation and communication of semi-monthly and annual financial statements.
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed.
- Oversee cash, relationships with investments, and support asset management.
- Oversee the organization’s banking relationships.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses.
Planning, Policy, and Investor Relations
- Work closely with the Asset Manager and third-party management companies to oversee financial performance and compliance related to Rise’s real estate portfolio.
- Coordinate the development and monitoring of operating budgets.
- Participate in corporate policy development as a member of the senior management team.
- Engage the finance committee of the board of directors to develop short- and long-term financial plans and projections.
- Represent the company to financial partners and auditors.
- Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations.
The Director of Finance will be a leader with at least 5 years of broad finance experience, including gathering and evaluating financial information and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership. They will ideally have experience managing finance and accounting functions (budgeting, control, and reporting) for a complex nonprofit with multiple funding sources including government (federal and state) contracts and an affiliate structure with diverse program areas. Knowledge of underwriting processes and/or tax credit syndication is desirable. Knowledge of real estate development or tax credit housing is considered a plus.
The Director of Finance will have the following experience and attributes:
- Appropriate degree/certification in accounting, finance, actuarial science, or equivalent work experience.
- At least four years of experience leading finance and accounting functions, preferably in a nonprofit organization with a budget of at least $1 million.
- Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in developing and implementing creative financial management strategies.
- Significant experience in or knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including sophisticated fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting.
- Experience working with information technology staff to manage finance and accounting software packages.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills.
- The salary range is $80,000-$100,000 based on commensurate experience.
- Competitive benefits package includes vacation and sick time, full health insurance, paid leave, and 401(k).
This position is based at our primary office located at 1627 Washington Ave., St. Louis MO 63103. Parking in a secured lot is provided. Off-site/remote work may be necessary/permitted due to Covid-19 protocol.
Send resume in digital format (.doc or .pdf) and respond to the following prompt (no cover letters, please) to: [email protected], with “Director of Finance” in the subject line. Submissions are accepted until July 22, 2022, or until the position is filled.
Application Prompt – please limit response to no more than 300 words
Ensuring all people have access to safe and quality affordable housing is important to me because:
Rise is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identification, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.